How’s your cholesteral?

Yesterday I had a really nice light dessert.
This is not the case today.
In fact, if you are a vegetarian you need to click away now.
I have a lovely pie for you tomorrow but you will not like be today while I celebrate one of my favourite foods-bacon.
I’ll get to the bacon in a minute.
You see I was recently reading the latest in a book series that I really like (Hannah Swenson by Joanna Fluke) and it was called “Cinnamon Roll Murder”.
Guess what I needed right away?
That day we also picked-up our pork from the farmer and had some ridiculously large pieces of bacon to contend with (by ridiculous I mean; fabulous, wonderful and wondrous).  A friend had also passed along some early season maple syrup to us.
Well, perfect storm it was so Maple Bacon Sticky Buns were born.
I have 2 cups of lukwarm milk, 2 T. maple syrup and 2 tsp of yeast.
While this proofs (bubbles), I chopped up 4 very thick pieces of bacon.
This got added into my maple and milk mixture.
I made a soft dough with 4 cups of flour and let it sit for 20 minutes.
I’d cooked my bacon on a broiling pan and had all these fantastic drippings that I couldn’t waste.
So I buttered my baking dish with it and added a 1/4 inch of maple syrup.
I rolled out my dough, buttered it with more bacon drippings, gave it a layer of brown sugar and sprinkled with 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.
Rolled it up and sliced into two inch chunks.
Place in my prepared pan, sprinkled with more chunks of bacon (two more thick pieces cut up) and let it sit for 20 minutes.  Bake at 330 for 45 minutes.
Not rich enough yet?
How about a maple glaze?
1/3 cup maple syrup mixed with enough icing sugar (approx. 1 1/2 cup) to make an icing that is think enough to pour.
Yep, that’s just right.
Cover your sticky buns with the glaze.
Try not to let anyone catch you licking the pan.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
It's only fair to share...Email this to someonePrint this pageShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on StumbleUponShare on YummlyShare on TumblrShare on Reddit

Comments

1. Debbiedoo's says

YIKES…this would be difficult not to eat all in one sitting. And yes, we all would be licking the pan clean.

2. Becca Swan says

Jane, you had me at bacon. 😉
    I will definitely be making these, maybe for hubby's birthday next week.
    YUM!

3. Michelle Barbeau Photography says

thanks for sharing them…they were unusual but tasty. I felt like i was eating cinnamon rolls but then got the bacon aftertaste (which is not a bad thing)

4. Jessica Lucas says

Yum – reminds me of the Bacon Rolls from the bakery I worked at in high school. Cinnamon Bun dough, but with bacon rolled up in them. I love the addition of maple though…I'm afraid to make them for fear of eating them all! Have a great day!

jess @
    TupeloCreative.blogspot.com

5. The Mrs says

Oh Jane. (It's possible I start all my comments to you this way)

I think I just died from vicarious food bliss.

To Pinterest!

6. Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon says

My my my…. those look insanely delicious! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!

Take care,

Trish

7. Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com says

Holy cow! My husband would die from happiness if I made these! I might too! They look great!

Thanks for linking up to my party last week! I am sharing this on my facebook and twitter.. be sure to grab a button! :)

• Jane says

Give this one a go (it’s pretty satisfying) or even better, Saturday’s post was a quick assembly “Summer Icecream Trifle” that requires no cooking at all.

8. says

Those look pretty intense. Maybe too much for me, but my husband would probably love them.

My daughter, the cook in the family, loves that same book series. I don’t think she’s read the latest one. I’ll have to let her know it’s out.

9. says

Oh. My.

I firmly believe bacon is one of the major food groups. But I have never had a bacon sticky bread before. I am soooo going to make this!

Visiting from SITS!

10. says

Amazing you thought to do that!

I have enjoyed several of those Hannah Swenson culinary mysteries myself!
    Visiting you from the SITS girls, and I’ hope you’ve had a spectacular SITS Day!

• Jane says

Isn’t she sweet? I know they are formulaic but I’ve come to ‘know’ her so well that I couldn’t think to not hang out with her.

Trackbacks