Happy Sunday and happy summer day!
I’m on holiday and in heavy duty fun mode with small one.
We’ve been setting up a backyard pool this weekend and I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen someone so excited before.
She’s been even sleeping in her ‘kini’s. I swear she swims in her dreams.
We’ve been barbequeing non-stop and I’ve been having fun playing with flavours.
We’ve got some gorgeous ground beef from our local farmer to use up and I thought with all the fresh herbs in the garden I had to have something full of flavour.
Which led me to koftas, a middle eastern sort of meatball/kebab.
Small one loves anything on a stick and this is such an easy summer bbq solution.
What’s especially great is it takes simple ingredients and makes them into something really special.
If you don’t have a mortar and pestle just mash the spices with the bottom of a pot. The goal is to have crunchy bits of spice that permeate the meat and give you a little surprise every-so-often. Use chunky sea salt in this recipe too. It just adds that oomph! to the dish.
An extra little flavour trick is to use the coriander stalks, they have hidden flavour galore in them.
Serve everything with saffron rice and a bit of salad on the side. I really like cucumber and tomatoes mixed with a bit of olive oil and balsamic.
The whole thing is a total treat.
Must run back to the pool. It’s my shift to swim with small one.
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup fresh mint
- ½ cup fresh cilantro (use the stalks, there's a lot of flavour there)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp crushed chillies
- 2 chopped cloves garlic
- 1 T. cumin seeds
- 1 T. coriander seeds
- In a mortar and pestle pound together all ingredients expect the fresh herbs and meat. Add into the herbs and meat. Form into 6 inch logs and skewer, chill for a minimum of 20 minutes. BBQ on high heat for 10-15 minutes or until the meat is firm to the touch.
- We like them served with rice that has been cooked with saffron and chicken stock.
Make sure you visit these other amazing #SundaySupper recipes.
- Best Grilled Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Bleu Cheese Burgers by Juanita’s Cocina
- Korean Grilled Flank Steak by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Swedish Blonde Burgers by Eat, Move, Shine
- Hawaiian Hot Dogs by La Cocina De Leslie
- BBQing the Whole Hog, Cuban Style by Webicurean
- Meat Stuffed Jalapenos by The Urban Mrs
- St. Louis Ribs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Fish Kebabs with Mint Chutney by Soni’s Food
- Jalapeno Bacon Burgers by Cookin’ Mimi
- Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Bacon Burgers by In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Pork Sliders with Peanut Sauce & Apple Slaw by Foxes Love Lemons
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breasts by Sustainable Dad
- Ditch Dogs by Daily Dish Recipes
- Bison Kabobs by Noshing With The Nolands
On the Side:
- Spicy Baked Beans by The Messy Baker
- Wisconsin Roasted Corn by Curious Cuisiniere
- German Potato Salad by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Baby Potatoes With Peppers And Onions by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sausage Potato Salad by girlichef
- Lightened Up Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Homemade Mustards by A Stack of Dishes
- Spicy Grilled Corn Salad by Magnolia Days
- Layered California Pasta Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Potato Salad by In Fine Balance
- Spicy Bacon and Corn Salad by Hip Foodie Mom
- Three Corns with Japanese Accents by Ninja Baking
- Cucumber Bruschetta by Healthy. Delicious.
- Grilled Zucchini by Supper for a Steal
- Chicken Spinach & Pasta Salad by Family Foodie
- Red, White & Blue Parfait by Country Girl in the Village
- Root Beer Float Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Gluten Free Brownies by Blueberries & Blessings
- Grilled Stone Fruit Parfait by Pescetarian Journal
- Blueberry Sorbet by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Tres Leches Cake by Happy Baking Days
- Beach Cupcakes by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Grilled Banana Dessert Bar by Home Cooking Memories
- Berries & Cream Pie by Treats & Trinkets
- Raspberry Lemonade Frozen Yogurt Pops by Runner’s Tales
- More S’mores by Growing Up Gabel
- Blackberry Peach Cobbler by Neighborfood
- Cornbread Cookies by Pies & Plots
- Funfetti Fluff Cheerio Treats by What Smells So Good?
- Pineapple Pudding by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
In the Cooler:
- Cherry Caipiroska by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mint Tea Slushes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Prickly Pear Margaritas by Ruffles & Truffles