Happy Monday and Happy First Day of
I hope you love it as much as my family loved getting ready for it and if you have any to share (past or present, this is a party after all) there’s a linky that I’ll have on each of these posts and it’ll be open all week.
I’ll also be sharing everything on twitter etc with the hashtag #grilledcheeseweek , hope you can play along with me. Need inspiration? Here’s a pinterest board just for you. C:
I’ve tried this week to rethink dishes that we already love in our house but sandwich them into yummy breads and play with cheese.
First up is my play on chicken wings.
What do you love about wings?
I like a spicy sauce, chunky blue cheese dip and cold crudite on the side.
So…why not have all that in a sandwich?
My intention was to cook a chicken and show that this is a great dish for leftovers. So, I cooked a chicken-three times. We still had no leftovers so I went to plan b (or I guess would be more like plan d?) and bought chicken already cooked and it was even sliced. How nice was that?
After making a tasty buffalo sauce it was a simply case of assembly…
I love when really fresh and crunchy crudite is given with wings so those acted as our side.
Jeepers, I didn’t expect it but the star of the show was that mayo and blue cheese dip.
I would eat that by itself.
I’m really trying to just put one ‘money’ shot on my posts but I thought this dish deserved a close-up.
I think Mr. Demille would have been happy too.
Hope you can enjoy me all week long for grilled cheese week.
- For the chicken:
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon melted butter mix
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 8 slices hearty white bread
- 16 thin slices mozzarella
- 4 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
- Buffalo chicken dipping sauce:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ½teaspoon paprika (smoked)
- ⅛ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- For the dipping sauce: mix everything together but leave lots of yummy chunks of blue cheese.
- For the sandwich:
- Mix the chicken ingredients together. Lay out the bread for four sandwiches, place 2 slices of mozzarella on each side, divide the chicken amongst the four and crumble on 1 T. of blue cheese on each. Butter both sides of the sandwich and toast in a fry pan.
- Serve with dipping sauce and a cold beer (optional)