So when you become a mom there’s things that you’re not supposed to do. Here’s just a few:
1) be afraid of the dark
2) forget to brush teeth
3) be freaked out by spiders
4) and have a vegetable that you despise.
I’m doing pretty well with the first three but I truly dislike cauliflower. It’s just such a non-food. Pale and boring, I just don’t see the point BUT I want small one to make up her own mind about likes and dislikes so I really feel that I need to feed her all sorts.
How to choke down the dread cauli though?
I decided that maybe one of the reasons I couldn’t stand the stuff is that my mom used to boil the heck out of it. No vegetable has a chance to taste good with treatment like that.
How about roasting instead?
Flavour boosters were also called for, I decided on mustard seeds, curry, a bit of oil and for that lovely tang that makes every dish worthwhile-marmite.
I let everything live with one another for 10 minutes on the counter before roasting at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
What?! Cauliflower with taste?
Cauliflower that you needed to pick at each time you’re in kitchen?
A great side dish and even a wonderful snack.
Who ever would have thought?
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 T curry powder
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 tsp marmite or vegemite
- Create florets out of the head of cauliflower, toss with the marinade and let sit for a minimum of 10 minutes. Place on a silicone or parchment lined cookie sheet and roast at 400 degrees for 15 minutes until coloured and tender.