Happy Sunday! #SundaySupper has the coolest theme this week with ‘We’ve got you covered’.
At first I thought it was just about covered dishes (which would still be fabulous) but instead folks have made it about having people ‘covered’ as in; allergies, emergencies…all sorts of awesomeness.
Which had me thinking about last spring.
Last spring I got bronchial pneumonia.
I just couldn’t take time off of work and a small kiddo does not involve time off either.
And there to help me…my awesome neighbour. Helping me with my wee doll, being encouraging, having meals together…you name it. All the while struggling with fibromyalgia herself. She had me covered and I do what I can to have her back too.
How do you say thanks enough for all that?
A big pot of ham and bean soup made in the slowcooker is a start. A small start.
White beans, ham, spinach, leeks, carrots, garlic, potatoes and ginger.
I love this recipe because it is lighter than a lot of bean soups that I’ve had before and let’s face-it, having a dump and turn on recipe is golden to us all.
It starts to look good right away but you’ll need to wait.
Just pour in milk to the rest of the mix and turn on your pot for 4 1/2 hours.
Come back and be ready for a treat to share with those who really ‘have you covered’.
Covered Appetizers and Entreés
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Party Mix from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Personal Steak Pot Pies from The Foodie Army Wife
- Slowcooker Bean and Ham Soup from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash & Cheddar Potatoes Au Gratin from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Salmon en Croute from Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Turkey Pot Pie from MarocMama
- Excellent Beef Stew from Noshing With The Nolands
- Sweet Potato and Kale Casserole from Supper for a Steal
- Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy from Food Lust People Love
- Carrot Cake Slow Cooker Oatmeal from Mess Makes Food
- Pigs in a Blanket from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Banana Coffee Cake with Chocolate Chip Streusel from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Streusel Topped Caramel Apple Pie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chocolate Satin Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Banana Butterscotch Muffin-Cake from What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Banoffee Pie from Happy Baking Days
- 1 Easy Chocolate Macaron Recipe, 3 Japanese Wine Fillings from NinjaBaking.com
- Chocolate Covered “Party Popcorn” from Ruffles & Truffles
- Caramel Apple Bundt Cake from Pies and Plots
Not Sure What To Do? We Got You Covered
- Cilantro Turkey Salad with Farro and Mango from Shockingly Delicious covering turkey leftovers
- Back to Basics: How to Truss a Chicken for Roasting from Crazy Foodie Stunts covering a cooking technique
- Peppermint Whip Cream from Peanut Butter and Peppers covering a vegan and dairy-free dessert topping
- Gluten Free Lego Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks covering a gluten-free dessert
- Banana Split Pie from Country Girl in the Village covering a no-bake dessert
- Durian Cake from The Urban Mrs covering a dessert with an uncommon ingredient
- Cranberry Walnut Crumble Bars from Magnolia Days covering an idea for fresh cranberries
- Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars from Alida’s Kitchen covering tips for a perfect cheesecake
- Prosciutto covered Rosemary Pork from Family Foodie covering a holiday meal on a budget
- Homemade Yellow Cake Mix from Treats & Trinkets covering a cake mix without the chemicals from store-bought ones
- Waffled Cranberry Cream Cheese Turkey Sandwiches from Neighborfood covering turkey leftovers
- Apple Cider Doughnuts from The Texan New Yorker covering a dish made at home so you don’t need to wait in long lines for it
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
- 2½ cups cooked white beans (I did them in my my pressure cooker but this soup is equally as nice with canned beans)
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 1½ cups each; diced potato, leeks and carrots
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon crushed chili
- 5 cups chicken stock
- ¾ cup milk
- Place everything in the slowcooker for 4½ hours on high.
- Depending on your stock-you may need more salt at this point.
- Even more delicious the next day.