Now you have that song stuck in your head-don’t you?
#SundaySupper is two!
I wish that I’d been there the first week but am I ever glad to have joined when I did.
This week is all about birthdays and I’m going to share a recipe that I LOVE and always think of as birthday food.
You see, we’re pretty down-to-earth people here and being such birthdays are just not really celebrated during the week. Weeks are busy and wonderful and birthdays need special treatment that a week night just does not lend itself to. The BIG deal is made on the weekends We always have something yummy on the day and cake (or pie or whatever the treat the birthday person loves) on the family birthday plate but it needs to fairly quick to get together.
Risotto is perfect for a weeknight birthday dinner. Creamy, quick but seemingly decadent.
This reminds me of the most fabulous bacon and eggs that you have ever had.
Chunks of pancetta are sauteed until just started to release their flavour
before you add your rice, garlic and peppers. In the spirit of the New Year I decided to use brown arborio rice and it was super lovely but the regular white is just as nice and easy to find.
Once the rice is coated (about 30 seconds of stirring, add white wine. Non-drinker? Just use a good quality stock all the way through. Slowly adding stock and letting the rice absorb a bit at a time creates the creaminess that is so lovely in risotto.
After 30 minutes of adding a bit of stock, letting the rice absorb, adding a bit of stock, letting it be absorbed… I know, just like magic.
Now this is super tasty especially with parmesan stirred in.
How can you improve it? Place in pretty serving bowls, make an indentation in the middle and top with a fat, ochre coloured egg yolk.
Stir into the risotto and celebrate.
PS Let’s talk egg yolk for a second. In this recipe the risotto is really hot and the egg yolk cooks once it’s stirred into the dish. HOWEVER, it will still be slightly undercooked. If you are are expecting or have any sort of compromised immune system I would not add the egg. In all likelihood you’ll never, ever have a problem but…food is fun and luscious and lovely but not worth a risk.
- ⅔ cup chopped pancetta (or bacon)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- 1½ cup arborio rice
- ⅔ cup white wine
- up to 3 cups chicken stock
- pinch crushed chilli
- ¾ cup shredded parmesan
- 1 egg yolk for each serving (this makes a nice dinner serving size for 4 folks)
- Saute pancetta and garlic together until bacon grease starts to appear. Add rice and peppers and saute until grains are coated. Add in wine and let rice absorb the liquid. Add in the chicken stock a ladle at a time until the rice is tender and creamy. Stir in the chilli and parmesan. Portion out, make an indentation in each serving and add the egg yolk. Before enjoying, stir the egg yolk into the dish and serve with more parmesan.
Brilliant Breads and Breakfast Fare:
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting from The Texan New Yorker
- Brioche aux Pépites de Chocolat from Food Lust People Love
- Broccoli, Potato & Cheese Egg Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Celebration Strawberry Crepes from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Homemade Brioche from Masala Herb
- Onion Cheddar Cheese Focaccia from Flour On My Face
- Poached Pear Bread from Hip Foodie Mom
Amazing Appetizers and Cocktails:
- Blood Orange Gin Fizz from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Blue Cheese Walnut Tarts from Magnolia Days
- Caramelized Onion & Gruyere Bites from The Foodie Army Wife
- Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Stuffed Butternut Squash from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Cheesy Twists from What Smells So Good?
- Key Lime Pie Martini from girlichef
- Slow Cooker Party Mix from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
Spectacular Soups and Salads:
- Creamy, Tangy Bacon Salad Dressing from Daily Dish Recipes
- Day at the Beach Healthy Tuna Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Low Carb Spicy Chunky Vegetable Beef Chili from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Luscious Fruit Salad from Pescetarian Journal
- Carne de Porco Alentejana | Portuguese Pork and Clams from Family Foodie
- Chicken Shami Kebab from Soni’s Food
- Chicken Spaghetti in the Crock from Momma’s Meals
- Curried Chicken from The Foodie Patootie
- Healthy Chicken Tetrazzini from Citronlimette
- Orecchiette with Chicken, Brocccoli, Mushrooms and Onions from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Runny Egg Risotto from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Sautéed Chicken with Tarragon Cream Sauce plus Arugula, Radicchio and Escarole Salad from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Seafood Stew from Healthy. Delicious.
- Spicy Roasted Squash and Wild Rice Bake from Curious Cuisiniere
- Spicy Shrimp Tempura Rolls from kimchi MOM
- Spinach Proscuitto Macaroni and Cheese with Walnut Topping from Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuscan Chicken Spinach Soup with Roasted Red Pepper from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Azuki Red Bean Ice Cream from The Ninja Baker
- Banana Pudding Parfaits from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Birthday Cake Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Caramel Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars from Pies and Pots
- Chocolate Mousse Torte from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Sugar Churros and Chocolate Sauce from Neighborfood
- Crumb Cake Brownies from Table for Seven
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Pops from Ruffles & Truffles
- Gluten-Free Epiphany Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Gluten-Free Vegan Coconut Cookies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Happy Birthday Cake Batter Truffles from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Mini Chocolate Bundt Cake with Raspberry Sauce from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes from Basic N Delicious
- S’mores Snack Cake from Alida’s Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.