Happy Sunday and #SundaySupper has made me think of Fat Tuesday and everything wonderful from New Orleans this time of year. To be honest, without Sunday Supper’s prompt I wouldn’t have even thought of it. That’s just one of the reasons why I love this group.
Special thanks for Leslie for being such a great hostess.
I really wanted oysters and of course this time of year makes me think of deep fried. However I didn’t want to spent $40.00 on fresh oysters which would then be shucked and breaded. My solution? I got tins of smoked oysters (a shocking $2.75 for roughly 18 in each tin) and gave them a really quick rinse to get the oil off.
Then set up your breading station; eggs whisked with hot sauce, cornmeal and flour spiked with crushed chili and finally the oysters lightly tossed with flour. The oysters get dribbled into hot oil and let rise to the top. Those would really be yummy enough but how about a spicy remoulade?
What’s a remoulade? A fancy mayonnaise that is usually spiked with lots of hot sauce and other fabulous flavours. I made mine even more fun with finely diced celery, capers and two bit fat avocados.
Why so much? Well, I know my family and I knew that this was going to be a hit and I also knew that we had a big bag of tortilla chips that would magically appear as soon as anything resembling quacamole appeared.
Are you sold? You can even make these a bit ahead of time and reheat them.
- Serves 4 as an appetizer
- 2 tins of smoked oysters (roughly 18 in each and quickly rinsed in cold water)
- ¼ cup flour (to toss with oysters)
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ⅛ cup flour
- ½ tsp crushed chili
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3 eggs (whisked) mixed with ½ tsp hot sauce
- 3 T finely diced celery
- 2 tsp chopped capers
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- ½ tsp hot sauce (or to taste)
- pinch salt
- Pat oysters dry, toss in flour, place 2-3 in egg and then into cornmeal mix. Drop into 3 inches of oil (350 degrees) and cook until they just rise to the top.
- Remoulade: mash all ingredients together and serve with warm oysters.
Cocktails & Other Beverages:
- The Hurricane Cocktail Recipe from An Appealing Plan
- The French 75 from Kimchi MOM
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fried Oysters and Remoulade from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Shrimp in Mustard Sauce from Noshing With The Nolands
- Sweet Potato Pie Appetizer from MealDiva
- Cajun Crab and Corn Beignets from Delaware Girl Eats
- Pancetta and Mushroom Arancini from Ruffles & Truffles
- Creole Shrimp Po Boy Recipe from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo from Supper for a Steal
- Jambalaya from Yours And Mind Are Ours
- Vegan Pizza Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Red Beans and Rice from Cookin’ Mimi
- Baked Catfish Po’Boy from Curious Cuisiniere
- Muffuletta from Casa de Crews
- Bayou Seafood and Andouille Jambalaya from The Weekend Gourmet
- Seafood Gumbo from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Tarte a L’oignon from The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Cajun Rice & Beans from Momma’s Meals
- Creole Celery Root Bisque (with Lobster) from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Louisiana Roasted Barbecue Shrimp from Food Lust People Love
- Cajun Dirty Rice Bowls from The Dinner-Mom
- New Orleans Fried Chicken from Family Foodie
- Baked Endive and Pears in Blue Cream Sauce from Shockingly Delicious
- Okra Creole from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Banana Creme Pie with Honey Whipped Cream and Pecan Brittle from The Foodie Patootie
- Chocolate Ganache Tart from Melanie Makes
- Banana Bread Pudding with Bourbon Caramel from Gotta Get Baked
- Delicious Baked Beignets from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with Caramel and Bourbon Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Paczki from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Beignets from The Messy Baker
- Eggless Bread Pudding in a Jar from What Smells So Good?
- Mint Julep Bars from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mardi Gras Cupcakes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mardi Gras Long Johns from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sinful Mexican Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls from La Cocina de Leslie
- Fasnetküchle from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Browned Butter Bacon-Chocolate Chip Cookies from Urban Bakes
- Pecan and Chocolate Pralines from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake from Clarks Condensed
- Baked Coconut Beignets from Mess Makes Food
- Ravioli dolci di Carnevale from Manu’s Menu
- Strawberry Paczki from Neighborfood
- Blackberry Fritters from girlichef
- Brownie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake from Magnolia Days
- Flourless Chocolate Cake in a Mug from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pecan Bars from Pies and Plots
- “Skinny Tuesday” Bananas Foster Cheesecake Parfaits from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mocha Pear Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Skinny Baked Beignets from Daily Dish Recipes
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.