Don’t you just love a meatless meal?
An excuse to sneak in all sorts of fresh goodies into a dish. It also gives me a chance to try out vegetarian options that I don’t often push myself to do.
Tammi from Momma’s Meals is being our amazing hostess this week. Thanks, girl for all that organizing!
I decided since we’re still in the throws of crappy weather I wanted a cosy pot-pie type of type of dinner to offer.
‘Beef’ Stew with Potato Cake Tops.
To be honest, it would depend on your vegetarian whether or not they would like this dish. Some vegetarians really don’t like anything with a meaty texture. This totally does. My meat loving family love it.
Round-up some fabulous treats; red wine, soy sauce, green bean, peas, parsnips, onions, potatoes, garlic, celery, rosemary and carrots. I even found some particularly gorgeous carrots that were purple.
And the ‘beef’ part. This is a great product that is made out of tofu but acts like ground beef.
Saute the root veg with a wee bit of olive oil and let them wilt before adding flour and cooking it for a couple of seconds to get rid of that raw taste. Add in the ground round, veg stock, red wine and the remaining vegetables. And the best part? Extra seasoning from juniper berries and crushed chili. The juniper berries are just an amazing taste that convinces you that you are having a slowcooked stew. Isn’t that pretty enough on it’s own? I made a big one and a few small versions. I loved the small version the most because of the topping…
Top your stew and bake until slightly browned and the stew is bubbling.
Dig in with a little side dish of halved tomatoes drizzled with balsamic.
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup carrots
- ¾ cup each chopped; potatoes, parsnips
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 lb veggie ground round
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 cup veggie stock (a stock cube works just great)
- ¾ cup red wine
- 2 T soy sauce
- ½ cup each green beans and peas (I used frozen ones)
- 1 T chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp juniper berries
- ½ tsp crushed chili
- Potato cakes:
- ½ cup panko crumbs
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cups mashed potato
- 2 T chopped parsley
- 2 T butter (actually I used Earth Balance spread in place of butter)
- ¼ tsp crushed chili
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- Saute (in the olive oil); celery, parsnips, onions, garlic, carrots and onion. Add in flour and cook for 30 seconds. Add in the veggie ground, spices and liquid, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. When slightly thickened add the peas and beans.
- Place in a 9x11 pan or in 6 individual casseroles.
- Combine the potato cake ingredients until JUST combined. Pat out to ½ inch thick and top your stew. Bake 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until browned and bubbling.
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- ‘Beef’ Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess makes food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese Stuffed Shellsby Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Brussel Sprout, Garlic and Parmesan Pizza by Sustainable Dad
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta with Olives Piquant by The Texan New Yorker
- Pasta e Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas in a Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Ricotta Tomato Basil Pizza by Basic N Delicious
- Quinoa blackbean burger with cilantro & ginger by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Bean & Cheese Enchirito by Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos by Casa de Crews
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.