Yay! It’s time for Sunday Supper and a chance to celebrate all the men out there with ‘Man Food’.
Thanks so much to Susan fromThe Girl In The Little Red Kitchen for being such an amazing hostess.
I decided that my best bet was picking the brain of DH and seeing what he pegged as his favourite foods.
His list was heavy on the meat and included some frying-well, who am I to say no on Father’s Day?
He also wanted everything to ‘kinda’ taste like chilli.
So I give you; The Colossal Burger.
Meat, meat and some fried bits.
Don’t worry if your testosterone level isn’t quite so high and you don’t have a ‘y’ chromosome. You’ll still love this burger.
Small one who is fixated with princesses, pink and usually does not deign to leave the house in anything less than a tiara went bonkers for this treatie too.
I started with the most important part-the burger meat. Really good quality lean meat from a farmer who I totally adore and trust. With it went a fat egg, cumin, crushed chili, garlic powder, chilli powder and panko.
He also mentioned that he wanted something like a filet mignon so that to me, meant let’s wrap this bad boy in bacon. I heated my favourite cast iron pan till it was screaming hot before adding the burgers, turning them once and finishing the cooking in the oven. You’ll notice that I’ve put a little dimple in the centre of each to allow them to cook evenly.
But what to put them on and what to put with them. I wanted something that reminded me of cornbread but wouldn’t take away from those lovely burgers AND I wanted onion rings. Who wants to make two batters though? How about one batter that is divided into two and half is thinned out with a bit more milk to coat my onion rings? And what does the other half make?
Well, waffles-slightly lighter version of cornbread that you normally serve with chilli. Smeared with quacamole.
Add a healthy handful of those gorgeous onion rings to the guac.
The star of the show-the burger.
And spear the whole thing with a pickled pepper and a lethal steak knife.
- 1 egg
- ½ cup panko
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 T cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 T chilli powder
- 1 tsp crushed chili
- 4 pieces of bacon (uncooked to wrap)
- Waffle batter:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1½ cups cornmeal
- ¼ cup oil
- 1½ cup milk (initially and another ⅓ cup after you've divided the batter)
- Onion rings:
- 2 medium onions (sliced as thinly as humanly possible)
- 2 avocados
- dash worstershire
- juice of half lemon
- 1 garlic clove mashed
- hot sauce to taste
- Extra garnish:
- hot peppers
- 4 pieces of cooked bacon
- For the burgers: mix all ingredients together, divide into 4 burgers and wrap in bacon. Heat iron skillet (or your grill) to 400 degrees, add burgers, flip once and cook through (roughly 15 minutes).
- For waffles: Mix all ingredients together, getting rid of the majority of the lumps. Divide batter in half and add the extra milk to one of the bowls. Dunk your onions into the thinner batter and deepfry at 375 until just golden. Sprinkle with salt while still hot. I used a mandoline to cut the onions and made LOTS extra as I knew if I had a hope of getting some actually on a burger I had to make my snackers happy. Use the rest of the batter to make waffles to act as buns.
- Guacamole: mash everything together and hide from your family until the burgers are cooked.
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Cowboy Beef Nachos by Daily Dish Recipes
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fava Bean Puree on Toast by Sustainable Dad
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beer Pizza Crust by Mess Makes Food
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Burger by Yours and Mine are Ours
- Jerk Chicken Wings by Momma’s Meals
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Go??bki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches w/ Ancho Chile-Coffee BBQ Sauce by La Cocina de Leslie
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Beer Ice Cream by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Roasted Strawberry Pound Cake Stacks by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.