Hey there and very happy Sunday.
As a teacher I sort of look forward to the beginning of school as I adore my job but it also means an end to my holidays.
This year is especially ‘interesting’ as small one starts kindergarten and although I’m really thrilled to see her in this next phase but I know that it is also going to be a wee bit bittersweet seeing my only going to school. Wasn’t she just a newborn?
One of the things that I’ve thought a tonne about is packing her lunches. We have all day kindergarten here and so a lunch and a couple of snacks are a must.
Isn’t is weird the things you decide to worry about?
Anyhoo, she’s addicted to anything with tuna and avocado so I decided to combine the two.
I mashed together; parsley, tuna (water packed and drained), zest and juice of a lemon, pepper and avocado. I decided to do the lemon and avocado since it takes away the smell of the tuna (I don’t want my wee one to be known as the smelly kid) and I worry about packing mayo and having it out of the fridge for too long.
Why pinwheels? Well, when my sister and I were kiddos my mom would make these for us for special occasions. You ask the bake to give you a ploughman’s loaf and cut it lengthwise. My local grocery store has even started to carry this without me asking.
Spread out and place a nice bit of fresh peppers at the end of the slice before rolling.
Slice and enjoy!
- 1 can tuna (packed in water and drained)
- 1 large avocado
- zest and juice of one lemon
- ¼ tsp pepper and salt
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 6 slices of ploughman's bread (crusts removed)
- 1 fresh pepper sliced into ½ inch spear
- Mash filling together, divide between pieces of bread, add ½ inch spears of pepper (I like yellow or red for this) and roll.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and slice before serving. Can be made the night before and enjoyed during a kindergarten lunch time.
Back to School Beginnings
- Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Muffins from Killer Bunnies
- Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmealfrom The Red Head Baker
- Make Ahead Waffle Casserole from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Apple Muffins from Meal Diva
- Apple Oat Breakfast Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Toast Three Ways from Foxes Love Lemons
Back to School Lunches and Simple Suppers
- Owl Bento Box from Simply Gourmet
- First Day of School Pinwheels from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Quick and Easy Hot Pastrami Sliders from Webicurean
- Grilled Chicken Revamp from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken and Zucchinin Meatballs from Casa de Crews
- Clean Eating Lunches Your Kids will Love from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Crispy Chicken Legs from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- DIY Veggie Cup Noodles from Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Nuggets from Nosh my Way
- Skinny Spinach Mac and Cheese from Take a Bite out of Boca
- Chicken Schnitzle from Panning the Globe
- Berry Nutty Bento from Ninja Baking
- Spagetti and Chicken Meatballs from Soni’s Food
- Chopped Shrimp Salad with Honey Lime Vinagraitte from The Weekend Gourmet
- Just for Mom Salad from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Steak & Cheese Pockets from Momma’s Meals
- Turkey Pinwheels from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Back to School Sips
Back to School Super Snacks
- Nutty Granola from Life Tastes Good
- On the Go Guacamole from Shannon at Country Girl in the Village
- Fruishi – Fruit Sushi from Mama Bee Does
- Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Playground Granola Bars from Noshing with the Nolands
- Apricot Dip from Magnolia Days
- Parmesan Garlic Oven Roasted Chick Peas from Ruffles and Truffles
- Home Made Graham Crackers from Curious Cuisiniere
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Gluten Free Apple Zucchini Flax Bread from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Beef and Veggie Sliders from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Popcorn from Simply Healthy Family
Back to School Sweets and Treats
- Open Face PB & J Cookies from Desserts Required
- Berry Topped Chocolate Silk Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Paletas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Love Note Doodle Bugs from Happy Baking Days
- Frozen Yogurt Mud Pies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brown Butter Peanut Butter Crispy Treats from The Texan New Yorker
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.