One of the many things that I love about #SundaySupper is that I get the excuse to try out something that I’ve been dying to do. You know…because I HAVE to (wink, wink…).
When today’s challenge was listed I totally knew what I wanted to do. BREAD!
I’ve been so wanting to try out make bread in my slowcooker thanks to our host this week for giving me the chance-you rock Christie.
The results? LOVE it. A super dense and full of flavour bread that took pretty much zero effort.
I decided to be even lazier with my bread making and use my kitchenaid to do the mixing.
I usually try to make bread on Sunday’s. It’s my small attempt to slow everything down before the madness of the week begins again.
I started with warm water, honey and my yeast. Let everything bloom-this takes about 5 minutes. Why am I trying to cut down on my workload?
Well, on Sundays DH and I try to also wrestle laundry mountain. We’re pretty good at throwing in loads during the whole week but by Sunday there is literally a mountain of it to put away.
When my yeast has bloomed I added in pepitos, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, poppy seeds, cracked wheat and sesame seeds.
A bit of water, olive oil, salt and flour and a mix on low until the dough comes away from the sides.
Let the dough rise, with a tea towel cover bedding it down, until double. Punch it down and
place in your slowcooker-lined in parchment paper.
Turn on high for four hours.
Take out and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes just to give everything a crunch and a pretty colour. It’s a totally optional step.
How is this bread different?
Well, it’s really dense. Why? Partly because of all the seeds in it BUT the main reason is because bread usually needs that first big burst of heat to make it get its cook rise going. That happens much more slowly with this style of cooking. But it gives you the chance to do all the other things that you need to get done and maybe (just maybe) have a tiny bit of time to yourself.
I know-crazy talk.
- To proof the yeast:
- 1 T honey
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1½ cups warm water
- For the bread:
- ½ cup each; chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pepitos, cracked wheat and sesame seeds
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- pinch salt
- ½ water
- ½ cup olive oil
- 5½ cups flour
- Proof the yeast with honey and 1½ cups water.
- When bloomed (fluffy and foamy) add in all the other ingredients. Mix either by hand or with a dough hook on your mixer until you have a smooth, elastic dough.
- Cover and let double in size (about 45 minutes), punch down and place in your parchment lined slowcooker. Turn on high for 4 hours. When done-place on a cookie sheet and bake in a 375 degree oven until just browned (10 minutes).
- Crockpot Kielbasa Split Pea Soup from The Foodie Army Wife
- Amazing Slow Cooker French Onion Soup from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crock Pot Turkey Meatball Soup from Flour On My Face
- Kale & Kielbasa Soup Slow Cooker Lime Garlic Chicken from The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Chicken, Spinach and White Bean Soup from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Spicy Ham and 10-Bean Soup from Food Lust People Love
- Crockpot Caramelized Pork Noodle Soup from Brunch with Joy
- Slow Cooker Acorn Squash and Apple Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Three Bean, Butternut, and Quinoa Vegetarian Chili from Ruffles & Truffles
- Potato, Kielbasa and Spinach Soup With Gouda from Meal Planning Magic
- Pork and Cabbage Stew from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Slow Cooker Chunky Chicken Tortilla Soup #GlutenFree from Sue’ s Nutrition Buzz
Scrumptious Mains (Breakfast and Dinner)
- Slow Cooked Apple Pie Oatmeal from Life Tastes Good
- Slow Cooker Carnitas from The Redhead Baker
- Slow Cooker Lime Garlic Chicken from Peaceful Cooking
- Slow-Cooked Country Pork and Veggies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders from Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef from Marlene Baird
- Madras Beef Curry with Vegetables from Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Apples and Figs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crockpot Sesame Chicken from Casa de Crews
- Pork Chops in Gravy with Potatoes from Cookin’ Mimi
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Ham from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Brown Sugar Bourbon Pork Roast from annaDishes
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Slow Cooker Spicy Peach Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken with Artichokes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Scalloped Potatoes from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions from The Dinner-Mom
- Slow Cooker Brownie Dessert from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Chocolate Cake from MealDIva
- Slow Cooker Rice Pudding from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow-Cooker Kheer (Indian Rice Pudding) from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Lemon Poppyseed Cake from NinjaBaking
- Slow Cooker Sourdough from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Slowcooker Seedy Bread from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Sips and Spreads
- Spiced Caramel Cider from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pumpkin Pie Spiked Cider from Simply Healthy Family
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.