Yay! Time for this month’s bundt cake. I’ve said it before-this is DH’s favourite time of the month because it means he can look forward to the next bundt being made in the very near future.
However, this is one that he has already asked for again. Sadly, when you’re married to a food blogger you just really don’t have a hope of having something after the recipe has been perfected.
Our brief this month was to fashion a cake that reminds us of our favourite cocktail. I’m not a huge cocktail girl but I would likely at least consider walking over broken glass for a cold Gin and Tonic. The only thing wrong with a Gin and Tonic is that they always taste like more.
So that’s where I decided to start. The flavours that make me think of g&t the most are lots of lemon and juniper berries. Juniper berries are a big part of what gives gin the taste that either you love or really don’t. They used to be super hard to find but now they are in almost every Supermarket’s spice section.
This mixture gets added to butter and sugar that has been whipped until light with some eggs and vanilla. Tonic water is added before folding in flour and baking powder and you have…
one of the lightest cakes that I’ve ever made.
Really buttery and tonnes of flavour. The only thing better? A big dollop of custard on the side.
- 1 cup each butter and sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp juniper berries
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup tonic water
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2½ cups flour
- In a mortar and pestle grind the lemon zest and juice with juniper berries.
- Beat together sugar and butter before adding the vanilla, eggs and spice mix. Fold in the tonic water and finally the flour and baking powder.
- Put in a greased bundt pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a knife comes out cleanly.
- Serve on it's own or with a good dollop of custard.
#BundtBakers is a group of bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bundts with a common ingredient or theme. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL firstname.lastname@example.org. All recipes and photographs can be found on our individual blogs, on our Pinterest board, and the #BundtBakers homepage.
And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month:
- Anisette and Orange Bundt Cake by Samantha at Un Mordisco Un Pecado
- Apple Bundt Cake with Whiskey Salted Caramel by Lauren at From Gate to Plate
- Baba au Rhum by Terri at Love and Confections
- Banana Bourbon Bundt Cake by Linda at Brunch with Joy
- Champagne Soaked Cranberry Bundt Cake by Teri at The Freshman Cook
- Chestnut and Rum Kugelhopf by Jelena at A Kingdom for A Cake
- Chocolate Baileys Bundt Cake by Bea and Mara at I Love Bundt Cakes
- Chocolate Chambord Mini Bundt Cakes by Tara at Noshing With The Nolands
- Chocolate Guinness Bundt by Veronica at My Catholic Kitchen
- Chocolate Kahlua Bundt Cake by Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Kahlua Bundt Cake with Kahlua Glaze by Tanya at DessertStalking Blog
- Coffee Baileys Bundt Cake by Kathya at Basic N Delicious
- Frangelico and Fig Bundt Cake by Victoria at Just One Bite Baking
- Gin and Tonic Bundt by Jane at Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gingerbread Rum Bundt Cake by Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Grand Marnier and Chocolate Chips Bundt Cake with Seville Orange Sauce by Anna at Media racion doble, Por Favor
- Grand Marnier and Tangerine Bundt Cake by Caro at En la Cocina de Caro
- Guinness Chocolate Bundt Cake by Patricia at Patty’s Cake
- Irish Coffee Bundt Cake by Laura at The Spiced Life
- Kentucky Bourbon Cake by Cassie at Cassie’s Kitchen
- Lemon Rum Bundt by Catherine at Living the Gourmet
- Limoncello Bundt Cake by Natalia at Principiando en la Cocina
- London Porter Bundt with Lemon Glaze by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Peach Brandy Pound Cake by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Pomegranate and Chocolate with Rum Glaze by Rocio at Kidsandchic
- Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake by Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Rum Pudding Cake by Rebekah at Making Miracles
- Rum Raisin Apple Bundt by Maleka at La Luna en Dulce
- Southern Sweet Potato, Bourbon, and Pecan Bundt by Margaret at Tea and Scones
- Spiced Apple Cider Bundt Cake with Bourbon Glaze by Tux at Brooklyn Homemaker
- Tangerine Screwdriver Mini Bundts by Kelly at Passion Kneaded