Very, very happy Sunday and I know that we JUST finished-up with Hallowe’en but let’s face it, there’s the whole big holiday season revving-up right now. You know, that whole almost two months of parties and entertaining and LOTS of eating.
Wouldn’t it be nice if in January you didn’t start a new year feeling like you should permanently wear yoga pants? Sunday Supper has your back. We’re lightening-up all those goodies just for you today.
Special thanks to Kathia from Basic N Delicious for hosting this week.
With two Englishmen in the house I decided to take my life in my hands and play with sausage rolls. They are usually sacrosanct in our house. Those puffy little treats with yummy sausage in the middle. The ones that you just can’t stop at one (or 15) and are so delicious because they are about 99.9% fat. Fat is always flavour. I don’t actually ever shy away from fat-moderation is usually what I aim for but I will clear a whole platter of sausage rolls.
No choice but to tackle this favourite treat. I’ve got ground pork (I ground it from a tenderloin but regular ground pork will still be great), apple butter, sage, pepper, cardamon, oatmeal, juniper and shredded apples. Let’s pretend this is sausage.
And all that puffy pastry? Well, phyllo pastry totally satisfies that need for crunchy layers. I just sprayed them with olive oil and doubled them up.
The sausage meat just hangs out while you do so.
Divide amongst the phyllo and roll tightly.
Score the tops into bitesized pieces and give another spritz of the cooking spray.
Bake and they are ready to devour. Maybe with a huge chunk of brie-since you’ve been so good otherwise.
- 3 sheets of phyllo
- olive oil spray
- 1 lb ground pork
- ¼ cup apple butter
- 1 T chopped sage
- 3 juniper berries (crushed)
- 6 cardamon seeds (crushed)
- ½ cup oatmeal
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 1 cup shredded apple
- ½ tsp salt
- Mix all the filling ingredients together and let sit while you get the phyllo ready.
- Lay 3 sheets of phyllo out lengthwise and give a spritz of olive oil. Fold over and place ⅓ of the filling along the edge of each. Roll tightly. Score the tops into 12 pieces and spritz again with spray. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until firm and browned.
- Lightened Up Eggnog by The Redhead Baker
- Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie Milkshake by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Appetizer or starter
- Gruyere Cheese Puffs by Sustainable Dad
- Lighten-up Sausage Rolls by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Sweet Apple Bites by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Lightened Up Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Spicy Eggplant Dip by Cooking Chat
- Carciofi alla Trapanese by Manu’s Menu
- Fresh Salmon Carpaccio by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole by Having Fun Saving
- Holiday Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes and Corn by Family Foodie
- Mini Mushroom Shepherd’s Pies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Grandma’s Mac n’ Cheese by What Smells So Good?
- Lean Mean Cheeseburger Soup by The Foodie Army Wife
- Turkey Roulade with Mushroom Stuffing and Blueberry Thyme Gravy by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker Roasted Butternut Squash & Chicken Sausage Soup by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Lightened-Up Fettuccine Alfredo by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Brunch with Joy
- Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Hearts of Palm, Artichoke, Avocado and Butter Lettuce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Quick and Easy Sweet Potato by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Almond-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli by The Texan New Yorker
- Tangy, Spiced Red Cabbage by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots by Ruffles & Truffles
- Shrimp Salad with White Wine Vinaigrette by eating in instead
- Cranberry Orange Glazed Green Beans by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Turkey and Roasted Cauliflower Stuffed Acorn Squash by annaDishes
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Green Beans with Rosemary Garlic Butter by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Leaner Green Beans by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Tri-Colored Carrot Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Greek Village Salad by Peaceful Cooking
- Healthier Potluck Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Farro Stuffing with Cranberries and Walnuts by The Dinner-Mom
- Individual Cheesecakes by Nosh My Way
- Light and Luscious Chocolate Cheesecake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Healthy Brownie Recipe | Applesauce Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Peanut Butter Coconut Mini by BarsBasic N Delicious
- The Blondie Recipe by Wallflour Girl
- Cinnamon Roll Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Skinny Ninja Cheesecake by NinjaBaker.com
- Lightened Oat Flax Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Blondie #GlutenFree by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz