Happy Sunday and especially happy to see all of my #SundaySupper peeps getting their glad rags on and offering such fab red carpet treats. I’d LOVE to get together with these folks for real.
Special thanks to Katie of Ruffles & Truffles for being our lovely hostess this week.
I’ve been dying for an excuse to make these treaties for WAY too long.
My husband thought it was kind of a cracked idea but somehow ended-up eating at least a dozen of them when they came out from the oven.
I remember making a version of these when I was a kid after pulling the recipe out my mom’s cookbooks. These were invariably from the late 50’s or early 60’s and featured a slightly tipsy but perfectly coiffed housewife passing around a tray of goodies while balancing a martini in her other hand.
It all seemed so sophisticated to me.
How about you skip the helmet hair, grab an extra, dirty martini and get some cozy jammies on while you munch on these treaties.
I used a mix of cheddar and blue cheese and made a savoury shortbread dough. This dough freezes like a dream so feel free to only make as many olives as you’d like to eat at the minute.
Pinch off a ping pong sized ball and encase an olive within.
Pop onto a tray and bake until just golden.
Fabulous hot or cold and especially nice with a chunk of pate on the side.
- 1½ cups cheddar (grated)
- ½ cup blue cheese (grated)
- 5 T butter
- pinch cayenne
- 2-3 T water
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 jar (375 ml) olives (drained and patted dry)
- Rub all the ingredients (except the water) together until it resembles coarse sand. Add enough water to form a smooth dough.
- Pinch off a T of dough and encase an olive in it. Roll into a ball and bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- NOTE: this dough freezes really well and can be taken out whenever you have a yen.
Nominees for Best Supporting Appetizers:
- Black and White Olive Cheese Puffs by Peaceful Cooking
- Cheddar Olives by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Chicken Boursin by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Citrus Avocado Shrimp Cocktail by Seduction in the Kitchen
- French Onion Sliders by Momma’s Meals
- Herbed Butter and Cheese Popcorn by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Italian Guacamole with Pesto by Food Done Light
- Lobster Bruschetta by The Texan New Yorker
- Melon and Prosciutto Skewers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Cheese Balls by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Moroccan Beef Kefta Briouat by Manu’s Menu
- Mushroom Pate by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Oscar Winning Sliders by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Oysters Rockfeller by Noshing With The Nolands
- Pea Pesto Crostini by Ruffles & Truffes
- Pear, Proscuito Polenta Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp by Casa de Crews
- Raspberry Brie Bites by Love and Confections
- Roasted Red Pepper Pinwheels by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Smoked Trout Stuffed Baby New Potatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Bites by Shockingly Delicious
- Sweet Chili Chicken Skewers by Nosh My Way
Nominees for Best Course in a Leading Role:
- Broccoli Calzones by eating in instead
- Bow Ties and Tails Galore by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Oscar by Palatable Pastime
- Indulgent Lobster-Champagne Risotto by The Weekend Gourmet
- Oscar Worthy Cantonese Lobster with Coconut-Ginger Rice by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Steak Oscar by Nik Snacks
Nominees for Best Supporting Sips:
- Apple Ginger Martini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Blood Orange Rosemary Spritzer by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cherry Almond Sparklers by Magnolia Days
- Iced Espresso Martini by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mixed Berry Martini by The Messy Baker
- Oscartini by Family Foodie
- Red Carpet Sparkler by Rhubarb and Honey
- Thank You Peary Much by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Nominees for Best Delectable Desserts:
- 7-Layer Bark by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Caramel-Almond Latte Ricotta Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Champagne Truffles by Brunch with Joy
- Chocolate Covered Cherries by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread with Fudgy Chocolate Frosting by Wallflour Girl
- Decadent Flourless Brownies by Recipe for Perfection
- Edible Oscars Envelopes by Sunday Supper Movement
- Imitation Game Guinness Brownies by NinjaBaker.com
- Mini Strawberry Galette by Basic N Delicious
- Mini Strawberry & Chocolate Cheesecakes by Happy Baking Days
- No-Bake Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Popcorn Puppy Chow by Pies and Plots
- Sweet and Salty Popcorn Ball Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Tuxedo Cake by The Redhead Baker
Nominees for Best Dressed Table:
- DIY Glitter Vases by Sunday Supper Movement