Happy Sunday and time to be with some lovely people all intent on sharing their favourite picnic treats.
Special thanks to T.R. of Gluten Free Crumbley for being such a great host.
This is my very favourite picnic drink.
My Gran always had a jar of it in the fridge ready to mix with some of her cold, spring, well water. It tasted like pure sunshine and we called it ‘Grandma’s Stuff’.
She’d pack a jar for us in a box with thick sandwiches and ginger cookies when we worked in the hay fields.
My dad always knew where to find one of the farm’s springs and it was the only thing that cut the dust.
In my gallery of treasured, childhood memories those endless, bright days are jewels.
Take oranges, lemons, grapefruit and limes and chop into big chunks to fit into the food processor.
Grandma used a crank food mill but I don’t have one and this makes the job go lovely and quickly.
You’ll have about five cups of fruit in here. Add an equal amount of sugar and blitz until you only have really tiny chunks.
Boil very briefly (five minutes) to create a syrup pour into a jar for the fridge.
When you’re ready for your wonderful drink take a 1/4 cup of this concoction and put it in a glass and top with cold water and ice. Yummmm…. Or even better, take that 1/4 cup and top the whole thing with champagne.
Now THAT’s a picnic C:
- 2 oranges (skin and all-I used one regular and one blood orange in this batch and it was lovely)
- 2 limes
- 2 lemons
- 1 grapefruit (pink)
- 5 cups sugar
- Process all ingredients in the blender/food processor until little chunks remain. Bring to a quick boil and decant into a large jar. Refridgerate and enjoy on a sunny day.
Now, that you’ve seen my fav picnic bevvie, do what I’m doing and get exploring these other amazing ideas.
I can’t wait to make a whole bunch of them.
- No Mayo Slaw with Poppyseed Dressing by Palatable Pastime
- Caprese Skewers by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- French Onion Dip, with Greek Yogurt by Casa de Crews
- Heart Shaped Pretzels with Pink Salt by Dandelion Greens
- Mediterranean Spiced Hummus by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pepperoni Pinwheels by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Crisp Cucumber Salsa with Southwest Chipotle Dipping Chips by Momma’s Meals
- Watermelon Salad Skewers by annaDishes
- Blackberry Lemonade by The Redhead Baker
- Grandma’s Stuff by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Minty Cardinal Punch by Food Lust People Love
- Sangria Punch by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Blueberry Mojito Mocktails by NeighborFood
- Strawberry Lemonade by Noshing With The Nolands
- Pineapple Ginger Lemonade Spiked with Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Burger Ice Cream by Brunch with Joy
- Southern Style Chicken Salad by Recipe for Perfection
- Boneless Chicken Wings by Nosh My Way
- Spanish tortilla by Caroline’s Cooking
- Chicken with Tarragon and White Wine by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Chicken Salad Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Avocado Sriracha Egg Salad by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Uncle Dave’s Potato Salad by Runner’s Tales
- Sweet and Tangy Green Apple Slaw by Simply Healthy Family
- Greek Style Asparagus Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- Broccoli & Tomato Pasta Salad by Flour On My Face
- Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Buffalo Macaroni Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Granola Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Couscous Veggie Salad by Cooking Chat
- Spiralized Beet and Goat Cheese Salad by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Soups and Salads:
- Smoked Turkey Salad by Our Good Life
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Dried Cranberries by Food Done Light
- Strawberry Fool by Cookin’ Mimi
- Spinach Salad with Apples & Pecans in an Apple Balsamic Vinaigrette by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Spring Couscous Primavera by No Spoon Necessary
- Barley and Rice Salad by Family Foodie
- Nicoise Salad by Gaila – The Petit Gourmet
- Layered Mason Jar Pasta Salad for Two by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon-Bulleit Brownies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Peanut Butter Bars by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- No-Bake Cookie Butter Chex Mix Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Earth Day Cupcakes by Savory Experiments
- Sourdough Chunk Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Mini Lemon Chess Pies by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Peanut Butter Carob Bars by Pies and Plots
- Coca Cola Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Lemon Lime Pound Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Lemon Yuzu Cookies by NinjaBaker.com
- Gluten Free Cookie Bars by Gluten Free Crumbley
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
I’m going to also give you a bit of an exciting heads-up.
After a very long winter my wee blog is getting a spring makeover thanks to the most awesome of ladies; Kristy Gardner from Peppercorn Creative. As a result the next few days will be a bit rocky here as Kristy works her magic and I apologize in advance but boy, is this EVER going to be worth it.
Here’s a little sneak peak.