I can’t wait to try all the recipes that my fellow Sunday Supperers (making up words here) have created. We have been about as far away as you can get from tropical conditions here that having an excuse to pretend was incredibly welcome.
I asked small one what I should do for this challenge and after ixnaying her first suggest (mango on a plate) I decided that her second idea, ‘something on a stick’, sounded just right.
So how about herby chicken lollypops on sugarcane sticks?
You can get sugar can sticks in most grocery stores in either the drinks section (where the mixes for cocktails are) or in the fresh produce area.
I took ground chicken, mint, cilantro, chili, dried lemon peel and fish sauce and mixed it all up with garlic and lemongrass.
I formed the chicken onto the sticks and placed in a screaming hot, non-stick pan. Turn when browned on each side and
serve with soy sauce to dip into. Quick, tropical and super delicious.
- 1 T chopped cilantro
- 1 mashed garlic clove
- 2 tsp chopped mint
- ½ lb ground chicken
- 1 tsp each mashed ginger and lemongrass (you can buy this in the Thai section in bottles of tubes)
- 1 tsp dried lemon peel
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- Skewers (I used sugarcane but any thick skewer will work)
- Mix ingredients, divide into 6 equal parts and place on sticks. Grill or pan fry on high until cooked through (about 10 minutes on the stove top-turning when sides are browned).
- Serve with soy sauce for dipping
Tidbits and Pupus
- Chicken Larp by Caroline’s Cooking
- Chicken and Lemongrass Sugarcane Skewers by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Coconut crusted Tofu with Spicy Mango Cucumber Topping by Soni’s Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Tenders with a Caramelized Pineapple Dipping Sauce by From Gate to Plate
- Oven Baked Tostones by Recipe for Perfection
- Midwest Style Loco Moco by Our Good Life
- Tropical Sunrise Fruit Salad with Coconut Chia Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Caribbean Black Beans with Rice by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Condiments and Sauces
- Cilantro Margarita by An Appealing Plan
- Coconut and Orange Italian Soda by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Coconut Mojito by Flour On My Face
- Hawaiian Margarita by Peaceful Cooking
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Cocktail by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Lava Flow by Nosh My Way
- Bali Spicy Grilled Fish – Ikan Bakar Jimbaran by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Coconut Chicken with Mango Salsa over Sweet Potato Puree by annaDishes
- Grilled Shrimp Roll with Mango and Papaya by Food Done Light
- Grilled Swordfish with Pineapple Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Kalua Pig by Palatable Pastime
- Mango Barbecued Pork Chops by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mango Lime Fajitas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Mojo Pork Bowl with Cauliflower Rice by Casa de Crews
- Pineapple Pork by Basic N Delicious
- Shrimp Catibías by The Petit Gourmet
- Shrimp Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Slow Cooker Kalua Pork Tacos by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Tropical Chicken Burgers by Momma’s Meals
- Tropical Chicken Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Whole Fish with a Ginger-Tamarind Sauce by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Seven Layer Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Coconut Sunshine Cake by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Double Ginger Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Majarete Ice Cream by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mini Mango Cheesecakes by The Freshman Cook
- Pina Colada Bars by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Pineapple Blueberry Ooey Gooey Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pumpkin-Coconut Biscotti by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Twist Cake with Coconut Whipped Cream by Simply Healthy Family
- Tropical Fruit Salad by The Redhead Baker
- Tropical Layered Poke Cake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Ube Panna Cotta by The Joyful Foodie
- Whole Wheat Mango Coconut Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- The Best Wines to Pair with Tropical Food #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.