Special thanks to DB aka Foodie Stuntman of Crazy Foodie Stunts for being such a great host!
In Canada we had our Victoria Day holiday last weekend and this week I get to celebrate Memorial day with my #SundaySupper family. Now if I could have a chance to have another Monday off…C:
Instead, how about a dessert that just says ‘Wow.’
St. Honore is a favourite around here as we’re addicted to all things in the cream puff family. Named after the patron saint of bakers this one is a winner. I’m going to come clean here though and state that this version is not traditional. In the summer and on the run we love an icecream dessert and the traditional version has pastry cream in the centre and a whole lot more steps to it than mine.
Start with your choux paste dough. A bizarre, cooked dough that you always think will go wrong until…it doesn’t. Boil water and butter together.
add in flour and mix until the dough comes off the sides. Beat in one egg at a time until you’ve got a glossy dough.
Then I formed the dough into a ring and added a layer of small balls on the top. The traditional version has you piping the dough out and this is so much more fun.
Bake at a high heat until risen before turning down to dry out and…ta da! Let the whole thing cool off.
Meanwhile, make a quick sauce with blueberries and maple syrup.
Slice the puff ring horizontally, add icecream (vanilla), blueberry sauce and sliced strawberries.
Top with the other half of the puffs and dot with blueberry sauce.
Grab a big wedge and enjoy.
- Choux Paste:
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- Blueberry Syrup:
- 3 cups frozen or fresh berries
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 8 scoops vanilla icecream
- Bring the water to a boil with the butter. Add in flour and beat over the flame until the dough comes away from the sides. Add one egg at a time-beating after each one.
- Remove from heat. Form ⅔'s into a ring and top the ring with 8 balls of the remaining dough.
- Bake at 425 until risen and set (about 15 minutes) before lowering to 350 and drying out (for 15 more minutes). Let cool.
- Boil syrup and blueberries together to thicken (about 10 minutes).
- Slice ring horizontally and remove top. Add icecream, strawberries and dot with sauce. Replace top and dot with more sauce.
Food Using One Color
- Baby Back Ribs with Roasted Strawberry Barbecue Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Baked Tomato Breakfast Cups by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Red Velvet Milk Shake by Nosh My Way
- Strawberry Meringue Tartlets by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Oat Crumble by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Alabama BBQ Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Blueberry Breakfast Cookies by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Blueberry Pierogi by Curious Cuisiniere
- Blue Velvet Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Food Using Two Colors
Red and White Food
- Pickled Shrimp with Pico de Gallo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Sausage Rougail (Rougail Saucisse) by The Petit Gourmet
Blue and White Food
- Blueberry Feta Cucumber Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Red, White and Blue Food
- Berry Berry Celebrations by Momma’s Meals
- Berry Patriotic Chia Seed Pudding by Tasting Page
- Easy Chocolate Covered Marshmallows by Palatable Pastime
- Eton Mess with Berries by Caroline’s Cooking
- Firecracker Cupcakes by The Crumby Cupcake
- Greek Yogurt Parfait Bar by Family Foodie
- Grilled Shrimp, Tomato and Bleu Cheese Flatbread by Our Good Life
- Individual Red, White, and Blue Salads by The Weekend Gourmet
- Patriotic Panna Cotta by The Freshman Cook
- Patriotic Protein Smoothie by Simply Healthy Family
- Patriotic Red White And Blue Cocktail by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Red White And Blue Coleslaw by Nik Snacks
- Red, White, and Blue Parfaits by Life Tastes Good
- Red, White and Blue Pie by Savory Experiments
- Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Red, White and Blue Sangria by Food Lust People Love
- Red White and Blue Sundae by Desserts Required
- St. Honore Cake by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Strawberry, Blueberry & Raspberry Cheesecake Crumble by Food Done Light
- Tomato Blue Cheese Crostini by Magnolia Days
- Triple Berry Coconut Chia Pudding Parfaits by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Vanilla Pound Cake with Fresh Berries by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Watermelon, Feta & Beet Appetizer by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.