Happy Sunday and a very happy Mother’s Day to everyone out there. Thank-you so much to Camilla of Culinary Adventures With Camilla for putting everything together for us today.
This is going to be a quiet one for my wee girl and I with DH in Holland still and it just being the two of us. We’ll see my mom next week and DH’s mom is on the other side of our rather large country so flowers have been delivered to each of them.
We’ll be in the garden all day together and small one has said she has a ‘spa’ planned. She’s blatantly stolen that idea from a Fancy Nancy book that we’ve read a million times together. I think I’ll be focused on ripping out a garden that I’m so very not happy with. You’ll hopefully see the results on instagram if my drawings can be made into reality.
All-in-all tough, my perfect version of Mother’s Day. Time with my little one who I didn’t think I’d have the chance to have in my life to begin with.
We’re going to need tarts.
I have a bit of an obsession with Portuguese Custard Tarts and when I found Pacific Rose Apples in the grocery store I knew I’d found a match made in heaven. Just the name had me thinking of cutting the apple thinly and phaffing them into rose shapes.
I started with puff pastry cut into squares and placed into greased muffins tins. TRUST me, give your pans a good dose of cooking spray. You’re going to put custard into the cups and no matter how steady your hand is you will end-up with a bit over the side which when baked will act like you’ve welded the tarts in place. The swear jar will at that point be very happy but you won’t be.
Slice your pretty apple super duper thin, line slices up and roll. Don’t worry if they break-somehow they still look pretty when they unfurl in the pastry.
Pour over the apple slices and
bake until browned and puffed. Now to REALLY make these lush-tip a bit of sugar over the tops and get your blowtorch out to brule the tops.
Perfect with coffee or well, perfect at anytime. This is likely the sort of thing that you’ll sneak to munch on in the middle of the night.
- 2 pieces of puff pastry cut into 4 inch squares (9/sheet)
- 3 T cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 large apple sliced wafer thin (I used a mandolin)
- ½ tsp sugar for the topping of the tarts
- Spray 18 muffins cups and lay in the squares of puff pastry.
- Place a bowl of the; milk, sugar, vanilla and cornstarch over a pan of boiling water and whisk until thickened. Add a few tablespoons of the mix into the egg yolks and then whisk everything together.
- Meanwhile, roll the thin apple slices into rose shapes and place on top of the puff, top with custard. Bake at 360 degrees for 35 minutes or until set and browned.
- Remove from the pan, sprinkle each with ½ tsp sugar and brule with a torch.
Starters and Salads
- Cheese Bread by Ninja Baker
- Classic Basil Pesto Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Fennel and Radish Citrus Salad by Tasting Page
- Healthy Ham Salad Minis by Momma’s Meals
- Pate with Spiced Pears by The Joyful Foodie
- Pesto Pasta Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Super Sunny Dutch Oven Sourdough by What Smells So Good?
- Ginger Shandy by Nosh My Way
- La Vie en Rose by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Momma’s Mimosaby Our Good Life
- Blackberry Almond Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by The Crumby Cupcake
- Broccoli and Cheddar Frittata with Roasted Tomatoes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Coriander Salmon with Capered Green Beans by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Chicken Tajine with Prunes and Almonds by The Petit Gourmet
- Dal Makhani by Sustainable Dad
- Dutch Baby Pancake by Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs and Ramps in Puff Pastry by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mimosa Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mushroom and Manchego Filled Crepes by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Arugula Salad by Casa de Crews
- Smoked Salmon & Shaved Asparagus Gruyere Quiche with a Pine Nut Crust by Simply Healthy Family
Treats and Sweets
- Angel Food Cake in a Jar by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Black Cow Cupcakes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake by Noshing With The Nolands
- Bourbon Peach Frozen Yogurt by Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Cheesecake Pastry Braid by The Redhead Baker
- Chicken and Pepper Rice with Fried Egg by Family Foodie
- Chinese Baked Tapioca Pudding by gotta get baked
- Crustless Creamy Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Deluxe Salted Caramel Turtle Sundae by The Weekend Gourmet
- Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Blackberry Mini Tarts by Life Tastes Good
- Lemon Brownies by Pies and Plots
- Lemon Sunshine Cake Pop Bouquet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lightened Peach Cheesecake by Food Done Light
- Mini Chocolate Marshmallow Bombe Soufflé by Nik Snacks
- Mini Lemon Almond Cupcakes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pavlova by The Freshman Cook
- Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Raspberry Mascarpone Mini Tarts by Palatable Pastime
- Rose Apple Custard Tart by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Soft-Baked Lemon Coconut Cookies by One Sweet Mess
- Steamed Strawberry Coconut Poke Cake with Whipped Coconut Cream by Wallflour Girl
- Triple Chocolate Layer Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
5 Favorite Pancake Toppings by Sunday Supper