Thanks so much to Teri from Love and Confections for hosting this month and how could you not be happy when you get to play with sprinkles?
It’s funny where you get the ideas for a recipe.
I’ll take you through my Henry Milleresque-stream-of-consciousness this month.
When I think of sprinkles I think of sparkles and gold. When I think of sparkles and gold it brings me to guilds that used to rule the gold and gem industry. Gold means money and what’s the most expensive spice in the world? Saffron.
So I, of course, had to make a cake that had gold (guild) and was flavoured with saffron (from a type of lily…)-ergo Guild the Lily Bundt. I know, a totally silly, play-on-words.
Don’t worry, that was painful for me too.
I really wanted to run with this idea of gold and precious metals so I started with a pack of very cool, gold and silver sprinkles and popped over to my local Italian grocer to snag some silver, candy almonds. I thought that I’d give them a quick buzz in my food processor-DON’T DO THIS. You too will have to contact Kitchenaid and get a new blade.
Add some money to your swear jar, wrap the almonds in tea towel and get all of your frustrations out by bashing them with a rolling pin. Ta da! Sparkly, almond, candy sprinkles.
Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla and olive oil together until lightly coloured. I used half regular olive oil and half of this yummy mandarin flavoured oil. Don’t kill yourself looking for this stuff. Just add a teaspoon of orange zest instead and use all olive oil.
Add in flour, almond meal, baking powder and finally saffron infused milk with gold and silver sprinkles AND your homemade almond, sparkly sprinkles.
Pour into a sprayed bundt pan that has been dusted in more gold and silver sprinkles and give it all a good bake until golden and since this is a super over the top concoction why not add a few sheets of gold leaf? Just to show what gilding something really means.
And perhaps a shot of Goldschlager liqueur because that train of thought still hurts the brain a bit C:
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1¼ cup olive oil (I used half regular and half mandarin flavoured)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk (let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes with ½ tsp of saffron)
- 1 cup almond meal (aka almond flour, ground almonds...)
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ cup gold and silver sprinkles (plus 2 tsp for coating your bundt pan)
- ¾ cups candied silver almonds (bashed to sprinkles)
- To decorate:
- 3 sheets gold leaf (totally optional)
- Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla and olive oil together until slightly fluffy. Fold in remaining ingredients and pour into a bundt pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray and then coated with the extra sprinkles.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a knife comes out cleanly. Let cool, take out of pan and drape in gold leaf.
Here are this month’s “Sprinkles” Bundts:
- Black Onyx Bundt Cake from Living the Gourmet
- Bourbon Walnut Pound Cake from Magnolia Days
- Bubblegum Frosted Funfetti Vanilla Bean Bundt from Baking in Pyjamas
- Bundt Cake Extra Chocolateado from la mejor manera de hacer…
- Celebration Confetti Bundt Cake from Cali’s Cuisine
- Chocolate Bundt Cake with Sprinkled Pink Glaze from la cocina de Aisha
- Chocolate Chip Cheese Cake from Tea and Scones
- Chocolate Sprinkles Sour Cream Bundt Cake from Spice Roots
- Chocolate Walnut Cake with Sprinkles from FoodJam
- Confetti Bundt Cake with Whipped Chocolate Ganache Frosting from How to Philosophize with Cake
- Crazy Coco Bundt Cake from Los Chatos Chefs
- Eggless Fingermillet Chocolate Bundts with Sprinkles from Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Eggless Vanilla Confetti Bundt Cake from SimplyVeggies
- Funfetti Bundt Cake from Liv for Cake
- Funfetti Bundt Cake from Recipes, Food & Cooking
- ‘Guild the Lily’ Bundt from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Irish Butter Chocolate Sprinkle Cake with Ganache from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Jammin’ Jimmies Bundt from Noshing With The Nolands
- Nutella Bundt with Nutella Glaze from Food Lust People Love
- Oatmeal Cookie Bundt Cake with Sprinkles from The Spiced Life
- Orange Dreamscicle Confetti Cake from Our Good Life
- Pistachio Sprinkle Bundt Cake from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Red Velvet Sprinkle Explosion Bundt Cake from Love and Confections
- Sprinkled Jelly Donut Bundt Cake from Making Miracles
- Sprinkled Triple Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake from Baking and Creating with Avril
- Sprinkles of Love Cake from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Sprinkled Bundt Cake from The Freshman Cook
- Vanilla Bundt Cake with Sprinkles from I Love Bundt Cakes
- Vanilla Mini Bundts from Passion Kneaded
- Watermelon Bundt Cake from Eat, Drink and Be Mighty
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving Bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all of our lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest Board.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers can be found on our homepage.