Yay Sunday! The day that I try to get as much done for the week as I possibly can.
This Sunday’s challenge of Fall Flavours is going to give me a million great ideas for lunches, treats, dinners…can’t wait to see them all and thanks to the whole Sunday Supper Movement for hosting this event!
I’m a teacher so fall means ramping EVERYTHING up after a rather lush summer of few schedules to follow. The thing that helps make it easier? All the gorgeous food that is just everywhere. Every garden and farmer’s marker is chockful of; pumpkins, zucchini, apples, honey…
All of a sudden baking is fun again and everything really should have really bold flavours AND be wrapped in pastry.
What I also try to do is make most of the food portable. Ready to grab for lunches, breakfasts and perfect for bringing to lessons and practices.
That’s a tall order but Beef Curry Pies can fill it.
We just picked-up our beef from the local farmer who raises it for us so we’ve tonnes of yummy stuff in the house. I added; mild curry paste (feeding someone older than a five year old then you can go for something hotter), onion, ginger, grated potato, chopped apricots, beer, flour, carrots, peas, tumeric and mustard seeds.
Give everything a good mix and pack into muffin tins that have been lined with hot water pastry. Why a hot water pastry? I find that the hot water pastries are really nice for meaty pies because they allow few, if any, leaks. Want to use shortcrust? Go for it.
Give them all a pastry hat, brush with a bit of egg wash and bake until golden.
Perfect with Friday’s recipe for Jardiniere. When I made this recipe the second time I doubled the ingredients for the filling and cooked it like a meatloaf and we had it over rice for dinner.
- 1½ cup flour
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup butter
- ⅔ cup shortening
- ⅓ cup boiling water
- ½ lb beef
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ cup each chopped onion, carrots, peas and grated potato
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1½ T chopped, dried apricots
- ½ T flour
- ¼ cup beef
- 2 mashed garlic cloves
- Cut together; butter, flour and salt until it resembles crumbs. Melt shortening into the boiling water and add to flour. Mixing to create a smooth dough. Roll out to ¼ inch thick, cut into rounds and line (sprayed) muffin tins.
- Thoroughly mix filling ingredients.
- Add filling (really pack it in), top with rounds of pastry-pinch together. Brush with egg wash and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees or until a knife comes out hot when poked into a pie and they golden.
Check out A Guide to Apples plus Best Fall Recipes Ideas for #SundaySupper and this week’s recipe collection:
- Apple-Currant Dutch Baby Pancake by The Weekend Gourmet
- Apple Swirled Pumpkin Yeast Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread by Party Food and Entertaining
- Giant Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tart by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Appetizers and Sides
- Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins by Pancake Warriors
- Pumpkin Spice Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Love and Confections
- Roasted Veggie Tart by Books n’ Cooks
- Acorn Squash Stuffed with Roasted Veggies & Couscous by Momma’s Meals
- Apple Cider Glazed Salmon by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Butternut Squash, Cauliflower and Cabbage Soup with Lentils by Monica’s Table
- Butternut Squash Lentil Curry Soup by Food Done Light
- Curry Beef Pies by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Fantasy Rice by The Petit Gourmet
- King Prawns in Red Sauce – Mauritian Style Creole Sauce by Peachy Tales
- Pasta with Creamy Butternut & Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Pork Chops with Apple Dijon Sauce and Polenta Cake by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pork Chops with Glazed Apples and Vegetables by The Complete Savorist
- Quinoa and Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash by Feeding Big and More
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Bacon/Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich by A Gouda Life
- Salt Roasted Salmon over Roasted Butternut & Yam Soup by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken, Delicata Squash and Olives by Foodie Tots
- Sweet Potato French Bean Lentil Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Whole Roasted Chicken with Vegetables by Life Tastes Good
Desserts and Cocktails
- Apfelkuchen by Curious Cuisiniere
- Applesauce Cake with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Swirls by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple Gingersnap Refrigerator Dessert by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Autumn Bellini by An Appealing Plan
- Autumn Spice Cookies by Desserts Required
- Caramel Apple Napoleons by The Crumby Cupcake
- Caramel Apple Pie Bundles by The Freshman Cook
- Caramel Apple Streusel Muffins by The Redhead Baker
- Caramel Apple Swirl Cheesecake No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesecake Swirl Pumpkin Muffins by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chestnut and Pear Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Chocolate and Pear Scones by From Gate to Plate
- Dark Chocolate-Espresso Pumpkin Tiramisu by Brunch with Joy
- Dutch Apple Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Butterscotch Drizzle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pumpkin Chocolate Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pumpkin Crisp by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pumpkin Pecan Bundt Cake by Flour On My Face
- Pumpkin Spice Peanut Butter Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Pumpkin Tapioca Pudding by Eating in Instead
- Roasted Maple Pears by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Spiced Pear Cake by Simply Healthy Family
- Spiced Pumpkin Bread by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Sweet Apple Skillet Cake by Nosh My Way
- Sweet Potato Alfredo Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.