How about a summer break?
Oh, I wish that I could make that happen for us all. Sorry, I can offer a summery recipe though that might satisfy some of your hankerings.
I really didn’t think I was going to be able to do this recipe in January but my grocer got some oddball green tomatoes in from a local greenhouse and I just couldn’t resist.
Small one will eat anything and everything in a tortilla so away we went.
I began by cooking bacon on a sheet pan (lined with parchment) and baking it in the oven. When crisp, I removed the bacon and kept the grease on the pan.
That was really the toughest part. All that I needed to do afterwards was slice the tomatoes
and bread them by dipping into flour, then egg and finally panko crumbs.
Place them on the lovely bacon pan and toast in the oven until the tomatoes are slightly soft and browned on both sides.
Tuck into soft tortillas with avocado, bacon and a dash of lemon juice.
- ½ lb bacon (baked at 350 degrees until crispy DON'T discard the grease)
- 4 green tomatoes (cut into ½ inch slices)
- 1 cup each panko crumbs and flour
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 eggs beaten
- 8 tortillas
- spritz of lemon
- chopped tomato
- Dip tomatoes into flour (seasoned with half of the salt and pepper), egg and then press the panko (seasoned with the other half of the salt and pepper). Place on baking sheet previously used for the bacon and cook for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees, turning halfway through to brown both sides.
- Have everyone build their own taco, adding the fillings they love best.