It is cold this week. We’re at -31 with the windchill today and the hibernating instinct is REALLY strong right now.
The best thing to lure any of us out right now has to be soup.
I love this one. It will warm you right to your toes AND it is so full of vegetables that you feel rather virtuous slurping it. I’ve made it a couple of times now and small one ate an entire thermos full before gymnastics last week. I’ll have to pack double this week in hopes of getting a drop or two.
You start with a tray of beautiful veg; eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, okra, peppers and after a spritz of cooking spray add a dust of tumeric. Massage through mashed; garlic, lemongrass and ginger.
Roast until just toasty and soft all the way through.
The soup is pretty much done at this point simply needing; cooked lentils, coconut milk and a bit of broth.
- 4 cups mixed veg (mushrooms, peppers, okra, zucchini and eggplant)
- 1 T mashed lemongrass and ginger (I used Gourmet Garden's squeezy stuff)
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 4 mashed garlic cloves
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup cooked lentils (I like green ones for these)
- 8 oz coconut milk
- 16 oz broth (vegetable or chicken)
- ½ tsp pepper
- salt to taste (this will depend on your broth)
- Roast veg on parchment paper at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, after spraying with cooking spray and massaging in the spices. Add veg to broth, lentils and coconut milk. Simmer for five minutes and correct seasoning.