Can you hardly wait to see all of our recipes this month?
Sue of Palatable Pastime is hostess and our theme is ‘Secret Garden’!
I know, scenes from the mind of Frances Hodgson Burnett are likely roaming through your head as well.
I thought of this recipe in the winter while I was dreaming about my garden. Actually, dreaming about anything that was not white and frozen.
I thought to the backyard (where we were married one sunny August day) and hoped that my elderflower bush was holding it’s own against the bunnies that buried in to help themselves to its bark. I also placed my order for LOTS of basil plants to keep up with our pizza production in the wood oven.
Add all that to my obsession with anything lemon…a happy cake was born.
Of course there had to be fly in the ointment and when I went to make my cake my bush was neither blooming nor bearing fruit. Grrr…
It all turned out in the end though with two elderflower tea bags and bubbly water creating fab cold brew tea.
Rounding everything out was: fat eggs, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, ground hazelnuts and chopped, fresh basil.
Using sparkling water helps make this incredibly light batter.
A bit of a bake and a healthy dollop of lemon curd just screams secret garden.
- 1½ cups sparkling water
- 2 elderflower tea bags
- Wet ingredients:
- 3 eggs
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1½ cups sugar
- Dry ingredients:
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup ground hazelnuts
- 2 T chopped fresh basil
- Brew tea in sparkling water for a minimum of 30 minutes. Beat wet ingredients together, mix dry and fold in tea.
- Pour into bundt pan and bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees (check after 30-everyone's oven is different).
- Basil, Lemon and Elderflower Bundt by Jane’s Adventure in Dinner
- Carrot Bundt Cake with Chamomile and Orange Icing by Patty’s Cake
- Chocolate and Mint Cake by Baking Yummies
- Ginger & Lemon Crackle Courgette Bundt Cake by Baking in Pyjamas
- Lavender & Honey Bundt by Living the Gourmet
- Lavender & Lemon Bundt Cake by I Love Bundt Cakes
- Lavender Almond Bundt by The Queen of Scones
- Lavender Lemonade Bundt by All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Lemon and Rosewater Bundt Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Lemon Balm Bundt Cake by Magnolia Days
- Lemon Zucchini Bundt with Sugared Pansies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mojito Bundt Cakes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Orange and Honey Bundt Cake by Basic N Delicious
- Roses & Lemon Bundt Cake by kidsandchic
- Spiced Zucchini Bundt Cake by Making Miracles
- Sweet Chocolate Feel the Beet Cake by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Vanilla Rose Bundt with Edible Flowers by Our Good Life
- Yorkshire Parkin Bundt by Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini, Cheddar and Chive Bundt by Cookaholic Wife
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.