Happy January and time for lots of warm yummies.
I was so excited for January this year as it gives me an excellent excuse to make tonnes of soups.
By then end of this month each year we basically don’t want to see anything resembling soup for quite some time.
I’ve got 10 that I’m dying to try and thought I would start off with something super easy and something that gets dinner on the table very quickly.
Small one is getting ready to take her first set of ballet exams and I am literally shoveling food into her as quickly as it comes off the stove.
She’s hungry all of the time.
But she’s our kid so she asks for weird stuff.
Right now, I could serve scallops and salmon every night and she wouldn’t complain.
Well, why not combine the two?
I came up with this recipe in the summer and just hadn’t gotten around to sharing it even though it has made its way onto our menu on a shockingly regular basis.
It’s quick and warm and satisfying.
I start with yummy spices and chopped okra in my old Dansk pot and get everything popping.
In goes chopped tomatoes and curry paste to wilt together before
adding coconut milk and letting everything thicken.
Sear scallops in a very hot pan and toss them in right at the end and
enjoy over rice.
Keep warm and spread a bit of positive something around.
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 Tsp mustard seeds
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 T mashed lemongrass
- 2 tsp mashed ginger
- ¾ cup okra (chopped in ½ inch pieces)
- 2 T curry paste (milk or hot-your choice)
- 2 cup chopped tomatoes (I used halved cherry tomatoes)
- 8 oz coconut milk
- 1½ cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cup seared scallops
- Vegetarian version: swap the scallops for parboiled baby potatoes OR cooked lentils.
- Saute the spices in the oil until the seeds pop. Add in the okra and the tomatoes and let wilt. Add in the coconut milk and let simmer until just thickened. Add in the peas and scallops.
- Serve over jasmine rice with chopped cilantro.