So cold here.
I’m trying to keep us super cozy but still wanting to have the ability to waddle over to the gym on a regular basis.
Soup is helping.
But it needs to have tonnes of flavour and fill us all up.
Small one will eat anything with beans in so I let her ‘shop’ in the pantry and she NEEDED these blackeyed peas made into something.
I wanted lots of spice and something creamy so with a little root around the two of us gathered everything we wanted to drop into the pot.
She loves doing this sort of thing and I love spending time with my kiddo in the kitchen.
It also means that anything we finish with she’ll eat without an argument.
This is a rough take on a North African soup with squash, beans, spice and peanut butter.
Top with stewed tomatoes and simmer until the squash is just tender.
- 2 cups large dice butternut squash
- ½ cup each onion and peppers
- 1 cup cooked black eyed peas
- ⅔ cup chopped spinach
- 1 tsp crushed chili flakes
- ⅔ cup peanut butter
- 1 12 T cumin
- 500 ml. stewed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken or veg stock
- salt to taste
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1 T olive oil
- Saute peppers, onions and garlic together. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the spinach) and simmer until the squash is fork tender. Stir in spinach, let wilt and enjoy.