Over 70 bloggers are participating in #Choctoberfest 2017 and will be posting 200+ chocolate recipes over the next week. Keep your eyes peeled, visit any of the blogs listed below, or use the #Choctoberfest hashtag on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook to follow along. You can also check out our #Choctoberfest Pinterest board, where we post chocolate recipes all year long.
Today’s treat is sort of a cheat. You get to enjoy chocolate AND even have it for breakfast.
Why did I work this recipe out? Well, my kiddo loves granola bars. Not the kind of granola bars that you hope your child loves. She loves the super cheap ones that would make a candy bar blush from the sugar content.
So, I’ve been working on my own version.
I wanted them to be chewy, still ok to send to my little one’s peanut-free school and not totally laden with sugar so I’ve relied on: cooked oatmeal, cocoa, really good quality chocolate, cocoa nibs, spices and a tonne of seeds to make these kid approved.
Mix and press everything into a 9×11 pan. Even better, get total kid buy-in by having those busy little hands do the job.
Bake and cut into fun shapes. My wee one chose elephants and cheetahs (?).
- 4 cups cooked oatmeal
- 1 cup oatbran
- ⅓ cup each; flax, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, maple syrup, dark chocolate chunks, mixed dried berries, pepitos and chia seeds
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 1 egg
- Spray a 9x11 pan with cooking spray, mix all the ingredients together and press into the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until they are slightly brown and are starting to harden. Cut into shapes and enjoy.
You can also enter to win our #Choctoberfest prize pack. Thank to our amazing sponsors who are contributing the following items for the prize:
- $100 gift card to Williams Sonoma or Sur La Table from our gold sponsor Imperial Sugar
- 1 case of granulated white sugar (40 pounds), 1 case of light brown sugar (24 pounds), 1 case of dark brown sugar (24 pounds), and 1 case of powdered sugar (24 pounds) from our gold sponsor Imperial Sugar
- 16 oz Barlean’s Butter-Flavored Coconut Oil, 9.52 oz canister of Chocolate Silk Greens, and 8oz bottle of Essential Women Omega-Swirl Chocolate Mint from our silver sponsor Barlean’s
- 300-piece Lindt LINDOR Truffles gift bag (you choose the flavors!) from blog sponsors The PinterTest Kitchen
This prize pack is valued at over $450! To enter, simply follow participating sponsors and bloggers using the below giveaway widget.
Please make sure that you check out my fellow ‘eventers’ and their amazing ideas.